My famous oat & chia seed protein porridge breakfast of champions... It's high in protein to keep you feeling full, contains complex carbohydrates to keep you energized throughout the day, and brain-boosting omega seeds to keep you alert and focused.
The importance of a good breakfast
We all need a nudge in the right direction from time to time. We also need a reminder of the impact food plays in our lives and the importance of making the right food choices.
Cultivating healthier breakfast and morning routines will give you strength, sustenance, and motivation for the day ahead. A good nourishing breakfast every day is the foundation of good health. It all starts at breakfast, and every day is a fresh start.
Breakfast Fuel & Nutrition
The basic formula for breakfast is to pair carbohydrates with proteins. The carbohydrates give your body energy to get started and your brain the fuel it needs to take on the day. Protein gives you staying power and helps you feel full until your next meal.
It can be as simple as a combo of:
- Whole-grain cereals, bread, fruits, and vegetables for carbohydrates
- Nuts, seeds, beans, vegetables, and tofu for protein
This protein porridge recipe combination of oats and chia seeds with almond milk and seeds provides a good nutritional balance to fuel you up for the day.
History of porridge
From Asia to Europe, in many shapes and forms; 'porridge' is enjoyed by millions of people all over the world.
- Congee is a traditional Asian rice porridge.
- Kasha is the Russian variety made with buckwheat groats.
- Teff is used in Ethiopia, and Millet in other parts of Africa and Asia.
Porridge has been my staple breakfast for the most part of my life. Like all food, It's a very personal thing. Everyone enjoys their porridge in their own certain way.
I have had hundreds of varieties of porridge over the years, experimenting with various grains, milk, and toppings.
My protein porridge is easy to make
This recipe takes 5 minutes to soak the night before, pop it in the fridge. Then it takes 5 minutes to warm through in the morning.
Give yourself the best start to the day with this game-changing breakfast of champions.
Top tips for making a good porridge
- Soak oats overnight in water and a pinch of salt
- Cook slowly on a gentle heat, stirring regularly
- Add your favorite plant milk
- Try adding some spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or turmeric
- Stir well and top up with water if getting too thick
- Top with your favorite fruits, nuts, or seeds
- Eat slowly and mindfully
Healthy superpowered ingredients for protein porridge
Oats - Great source of protein, complex carbohydrates, fiber, and minerals
Chia seeds - Packed with protein, omega 3 fats, fiber, and lots of minerals
Omega seed mix - A wide variety of fats and minerals
More protein-packed vegan breakfasts to try
- Quinoa Porridge
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
- Banana Chickpea Pancakes
- Oat & Chia Seed Bircher
- Tropical Chia Seed Pudding
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
Ok, let's get cooking. Here is my favorite porridge recipe for you to enjoy
Oat & Chia Seed Protein Porridge
- Weighing scales
- Saucepan - medium size
- Frying pan - non stick
- Serving bowl
For the porridge
- Assemble all ingredients.
- Add the oats, chia seeds, raisins, salt, and water to the saucepan, stir well and allow to soak overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning, add the almond milk and pinch of cinnamon.
- Gently heat, cook out on a low simmer for 5 minutes (add more water if it gets a little thick)
- Transfer to serving bowls.
- Garnish with sliced banana.
- Sprinkle with omega seeds and season with orange zest.
- Drizzle with coconut nectar and serve.
For the omega seed mix
- Toast all the seeds for 2 minutes in a warm frying pan.
- Transfer to an airtight storage container, cool and keep covered until required.
- Try using any type of plant milk... Oat, rice, cashew, or soy milk all work well.
- Substitute your favorite dried fruits like figs, dates, or apricots.
- Add your favorite seasonal fruits on top.