This Green Protein Smoothie Bowl is made with Wolffia globosa, banana, mango, coconut, and lime. It makes an ideal breakfast smoothie bowl or post-workout recovery bowl. This is an effortless recipe that can be made in minutes by blending frozen fruits with Wolffia globosa and coconut milk.
Smoothie bowls are quick, fun, and versatile to make. I always have some frozen banana in the freezer for making smoothie bowls.
For this Wolffia-inspired recipe, I blend in pre-cooked Wolffia globosa which provides a rich chlorophyll color and a vast array of nutrients.
- What are the health benefits of Wolffia Globosa
- Where to source Wolffia globosa
- 📋Ingredients for Green Protein Smoothie Bowl
- 🍌Nutrition content of green protein smoothie bowl
- 🍽 Equipment
- 🔪How to make a green protein smoothie bowl
- 💭Substitutions & Variations
- 💭Chef's Top tip for the best green protein smoothie bowl
- More recipes to try
- 📋 Recipe
- Wolffia globosa food safety
What are the health benefits of Wolffia Globosa
There are some serious health benefits of Wolffia globosa, studies have confirmed that Wolffia is a complete source of protein and many other essential nutrients. Here's a summary of how Wolffia can benefit your health and make a valuable addition to your diet and lifestyle.
Contains Vitamin B12:
Scientific researchers demonstrate that Wolffia globosa is a source of plant-based vitamin B12. Here is the full scientific study.
A complete protein:
Wolffia contains all 9 essential amino acids that our body requires from food.
Helps to regulate blood sugar:
Wolffia, which is high in fiber can help regulate blood sugar, which helps balance energy levels and lowers insulin response, which in turn helps to maintain a healthy weight.
High in antioxidants:
Wolffia is an excellent source of plant polyphenolic compounds. These powerful antioxidants help to fight free radicals and disease.
High vitamin and mineral content:
Wolffia nutrition exceeds other superfoods in many ways. It's a great source of:
- Vitamin A, C, E, K
- Vitamin B2, B12
- Folate, beta carotene
- Lutein, zeaxanthin
- Phosphorus, potassium
- Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Zinc
Learn more about Wolffia globosa
Where to source Wolffia globosa
I can recommend a great supply in Thailand. You may contact Advanced GreenFarm for availability and delivery within the Kingdom of Thailand.
📋Ingredients for Green Protein Smoothie Bowl
- Wolffia globosa (pre-cooked and frozen in ice-cubes)
- Frozen banana sliced
- Frozen mango diced
- Coconut milk
- Lime juice
See the recipe card below for quantities.
To garnish your green smoothie bowl:
I use fresh mango, passion fruits, and cashew nuts to garnish. You can add whatever toppings you desire. I have added some suggestions below for recipe variations.
🍌Nutrition content of green protein smoothie bowl
A complete protein, vitamin B12, iron, calcium, potassium, zinc, and phosphorous.
A great source of vitamin B6, bananas also contain moderate amounts of potassium, vitamin C, and manganese.
High in vitamin C & A and contains moderate amounts of vitamins E, K, B6 & B9 in addition to potassium and copper.
A great source of iron and zinc. Coconut milk has anti-inflammatory properties and has been used to promote gastrointestinal health due to its ability to renew cells in the intestinal wall.
High in vitamin C and antioxidants, lime juice also helps aid iron absorption and promotes healthy skin.
There is no fancy equipment needed for this recipe. All you will require is a good high-speed blender to get the frozen fruit and Wolffia nice and smooth.
You can use a smoothie blender or a magimix style blender.
🔪How to make a green protein smoothie bowl
You will need some frozen banana and mango for this smoothie bowl. Smoothie bowls are quick to make, as long as you have frozen fruit in the freezer.
Prepare ahead of time
- To freeze the fruit, cut the banana into small slices, and dice the peeled mango into small dice - freeze solid overnight. This is crucial for a good ice-cream consistency smoothie bowl.
- Wolffia globosa needs to be pre-cooked by pouring over boiling water and leaving to blanch for 2-3 minutes. Refresh under cold water to stop the cooking process and lock in the chlorophyll.
- You can store the pre-cooked Wolffia globosa in freezer cube trays for ease of adding to recipes.
To blend your smoothie bowl
- Add coconut milk to the blender, followed by the frozen banana, mango, and Wolffia globosa.
- Start the blender slowly, and use the mixing attachment to move the fruits around to get everything nice and smooth.
- Blitz for 30 seconds until the mix is smooth.
- Transfer to a chilled serving bowl using a spatula.
- Garnish with you toppings and serve straight away.
💭Substitutions & Variations
- Wolffia globosa: If you cannot get your hands on this star ingredient you can try adding spinach, kale, moringa, chlorella or spirulina. All these ingredients will give a green mix, with varying levels of good nutrition.
- Coconut milk: This can be replaced with any non-dairy milk alternative like soy milk, oat milk, almond milk, sesame milk or cashew milk.
- Banana and mango: Frozen pineapple, peaches, berries and avocado are also great in smoothie bowls. Feel free to use a combination.
- Lime juice: Try adding fresh lemon juice or orange juice to balance the natural sweetness of the fruits.
- Nuts – sprinkle cashew, macadamia, almond, pistachio or walnuts on top.
- Seeds – pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds and sunflower seeds are great options.
- More Toppings – cacao nibs, unsweetened shredded coconut and goji berries.
Storing: Store leftover smoothie in a glass container for 1 to 2 days in the fridge. Just be sure to fill the container to the top to keep it from trapping air in the jar.
It is best to make and serve this smoothie bowl straight away. You can leave it in the freezer for up to 1 hour after making it, but I do not advise re-freezing it for longer than this.
💭Chef's Top tip for the best green protein smoothie bowl
- Leave your serving bowl in the freezer for as long as possible before adding your smoothie bowl mix. This will keep it from melting.
- Pour the coconut milk into the blender first and then the remaining ingredients. This eases some of the wear and tear on the blade.
More recipes to try
We hope you enjoy this delicious recipe. We're happy to share it with you. If you make this recipe please let us know in the comments below what you think. We love seeing your recreations. Happy cooking friends!
Wolffia Green Protein Smoothie Bowl
- Weighing scales
- Chopping board
- Chefs knife
- Serving bowl
For the smoothie bowl
- 150 g Wolffia Globosa frozen
- 100 g Banana frozen - sliced / ripe
- 50 g Mango frozen
- 50 g Coconut milk
- 10 ml Lime juice
- 20 g Mango dice
- 20 g Pineapple dice
- 20 g Cashew toasted
- 1 each Passion fruit seeds
Prepare in advance
- Slice and freeze the bananas and mango
To make the smoothie bowl
- Add the frozen banana, wolffia and mango to the blender with coconut milk and lime juice.
- Blend on high speed for 20 seconds until smooth.
- Transfer to chilled serving bowls.
- Prepare all the fresh fruits for garnishing.
- Add all the fresh fruits on top and serve.
- You can use any plant-milk variation here.
Wolffia globosa food safety
There are no reported health risks associated with eating Wolffia. It has been approved as safe for consumption in several countries including the USA.
However, as Wolffia grows in water, the plant may be in direct contact with impurities and contaminants in the water source. The farming and cultivation methods greatly impact the overall quality and nutritional content.
It is advised to only consume Wolffia from a trusted source, where uncontaminated water is used for semi-closed cultivation systems and the bacterial contamination is routinely monitored.