Welcome to our vegan spelt banana bread recipe. This moist and delicious banana bread is made with wholegrain spelt flour, a nutritious alternative to traditional wheat flour. Whether you follow a vegan diet or simply want to explore new plant-based recipes, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your kitchen.
I have many variations of banana bread. This particular recipe was fine-tuned while I was cooking on Retreats at The Sanctuary in Marbella. We served it as a snack for guests who were on the mountain hike. It was a well-needed boost on their expedition!
Some people think eating healthy is limiting or restricting. I believe that we all need and deserve a treat. Enjoying a delicious slice of banana bread is comforting. By using healthier wholegrain flour, reducing sugar, using good quality oil, and adding lots of bananas, we can still enjoy a banana bread recipe that is healthier than most others. We cannot eat it 3 times a day every day... we need to practice moderation!
History of banana bread
Banana bread is a classic recipe that has been enjoyed by families for generations. The origins of banana bread can be traced back to the United States in the early 20th century when baking soda and baking powder became popular leavening agents. Overripe bananas, which were previously discarded, found a new purpose in creating moist and flavorful loaves of bread.
Ingredients for vegan spelt banana bread
- Wholegrain spelt flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cinnamon powder
- Pink salt
- Ripe bananas
- Plant milk (such as almond or soy milk)
- Cider vinegar
- Coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- Coconut oil
What is spelt?
Spelt is an ancient grain that has been cultivated for thousands of years. Belonging to the wheat family, spelt is closely related to modern wheat varieties but offers unique characteristics that set it apart.
With its slightly nutty flavor and lighter texture compared to traditional wheat, spelt has gained popularity as a nutritious alternative in baking and cooking. This ancient grain is rich in fiber, protein, and essential minerals, making it a valuable addition to a wholesome diet.
It's worth noting that spelt grain contains gluten, therefore it is not suitable for those on a gluten-free diet.
Can this recipe be made gluten-free?
You can substitute spelt flour for a gluten-free flour blend and proceed with the recipe ingredients and methods as laid out. I have not tried this yet, if you make a gluten-free version please let us know in the comments below.
Equipment you will need
Before you begin, make sure you have the following equipment ready:
- Bread baking tin
- Parchment paper or oil for greasing
- Large mixing bowl
- Fork for mashing bananas
- Separate bowl for wet mix
- Cooling rack
How to make vegan spelt banana bread
- Preheat your oven to 170°C (340°F).
- Line the bread baking tin with parchment paper or grease it with oil to prevent sticking.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, and pink salt to prepare the dry mix.
- In a separate bowl, add the cider vinegar to the plant milk and whisk briefly. Let it sit for 10 minutes to activate.
- In another bowl, peel the bananas and mash them with a fork until smooth.
- Melt the coconut oil and allow it to cool slightly.
- Add the plant milk and cider vinegar mixture, along with the coconut sugar, to the mashed bananas. Whisk until smooth.
- Incorporate the cooled melted coconut oil into the wet mix and stir until well combined.
- Gently fold the wet mix into the dry mix, ensuring all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Be careful not to overmix and knock out the air.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared baking tin.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon powder over the top of the batter for added flavor.
- Bake the banana bread uncovered for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden and firm. To check for doneness, insert a clean knife into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, the bread is ready.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then, gently remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool completely on the rack.
- Once cooled, slice and serve the delicious vegan spelt banana bread!
What to serve with vegan spelt banana bread
This banana bread is delightful on its own, but you can also take it to another level by pairing it with various accompaniments. Spread a dollop of tahini chocolate spread, almond butter, peanut butter, or homemade blueberry chia seed jam.
If you prefer a touch of sweetness, try drizzling some maple or coconut syrup over the bread. You can even enjoy it with a cup of your favorite herbal tea or golden turmeric latte for a cozy treat.
Nutritional content of vegan spelt banana bread
Here is an approximate nutritional breakdown for one serving (based on a 70g portion):
Read all about the health benefits of bananas here...
- Calories: 210 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Fat: 12 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 276mg
More recipes to try
If you enjoyed this vegan spelt banana bread recipe, we invite you to explore more plant-based delights from the Holistic Chef Academy.
We hope you enjoy baking and savoring this vegan spelt banana bread. It's a delightful way to indulge in a guilt-free treat while nourishing your body with wholesome ingredients. Happy baking!
Vegan Spelt Banana Bread
- Weighing scales
- Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- 2 Baking tin - 8 x 4 inch
- Cooling rack
- 500 g Spelt flour self raising
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon Pink salt
- 600 g Banana ripe
- 400 ml Plant milk
- 20 ml Cider vinegar
- 220 g Coconut sugar
- 240 ml Coconut oil
- 2 pinch Cinnamon powder
Assemble & weigh all the ingredients.
- Pre-heat oven to170 °C
- Line the bread baking tin with parchment paper or just brush with oil
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon together into a large mixing bowl.500 g Spelt flour, 2 teaspoon Baking soda, 2 teaspoon Baking powder, 2 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- Add the cider vinegar to the plant milk - whisk briefly to incorporate. Allow 10 minutes to activate.
- In a separate bowl, add the peeled bananas, and mash with a fork.600 g Banana
- Melt and cool the coconut oil.
- Add the plant milk/cider vinegar mix and coconut sugar to the mashed banana - mix until smooth with a whisk.400 ml Plant milk, 20 ml Cider vinegar, 220 g Coconut sugar
- Next, add the melted (cooled) coconut oil - mix until it's all incorporated.240 ml Coconut oil
- Gently fold the wet mix into the dry mix until nice and smooth and all ingredients are well incorporated. Be gentle here - do not knock the air out.
- Spoon the mix evenly into the baking tins.
- Bake the banana bread, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes, until lightly golden and firm on top. The top of the loaf should slowly spring back when touched.
- To test if banana bread is fully cook, insert the tip of a clean knife into the center. Pull out slowly and if the knife comes out clean - the banana bread is cooked.
- Place the loaf pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then, turn the loaf out and gently remove it from the pan, placing it directly onto the cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Slice and serve!