These easy-to-make red lentil flatbreads have just 5 ingredients and take no more that 15 minutes to make. They are full of plant powered protein and minerals, 100% gluten-free and go with any curry, dips or sauces.
Vegan High Protein Red Lentil Flatbreads
I highly recommend adding this recipe to your repertoire. They are so quick and easy to make, super healthy and red lentils are so in-expensive to buy.
5 easy ingredients
- Red lentils
- Black pepper
- Pink salt
What is the texture like
These red lentil flatbreads are best cooked and served straight away. They cook very quickly in the frying pan, just 2 - 3 minutes on each side.
Their texture are a little firm, like naan breads and crisp on the outside. Do not make them to thick.
What to serve with red lentil flatbreads
These flatbreads go well as a side dish with almost anything! Enjoy them with curries or dals, or even use them as mini pizza bases, dip them in guacamole, hummus or baba ghanoush.
What are the health benefits
Some of the main potential health benefits of consuming lentils regularly
- Improved digestion
- Healthy heart
- Diabetes control
- Muscle generation
Read more about the health benefits of lentils in my blog post.
Lentils contain the highest amount of protein originating from any plant. The amount of protein found in them is up to 35%, which is comparable to red meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products.
Raw lentils contain carbohydrates (15-25 grams per 100 grams). They are a good source of dietary fiber and also have a low amount of calories. Other nutritious components found are molybdenum, folate, tryptophan, manganese, iron, phosphorus, copper, vitamin B1, and potassium.
Vegan Red Lentil Flatbreads
- Made with 5 easy ingredients
- Ready in 15 minutes
- Very easy to make
- Super high in protein
- 100% gluten-free
- Healthy and filling
- Delicious and nutritious
Vegan Red Lentil Flatbreads
- Weighing scales
- Mixing bowl
- Frying pan - non stick
- 200 g Red lentils
- 350 ml Water - filtered
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- .5 tsp Black pepper - ground
- 1 tsp Pink salt
- 50 ml Coconut oil
To make the flatbread batter
- Add the dry red lentils to blender, pulse for 10-20 seconds until ground fine.
- Next add the water, turmeric powder, ground black pepper and pink salt.
- Blend again until batter is nice and smooth.
- Transfer to mixing bowl - and rest for 5 minutes.
To cook the flatbreads
- Warm the frying pan to medium heat.
- Add a splash of coconut oil.
- Add approximately 50g of flatbread batter to the pan, allow to cook without moving the pan for about 2 minutes.
- When golden brown, flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Careful not to overcook and dry out. They will cook quickly.
- Cook in batches and transfer to paper towel to drain.
- Serve with your favourite curry, dal or dips.
- For even better results, try making the batter the night before.
If you enjoyed this recipe... discover more
JOIN THE COMMUNITY
You are welcome to join the Holistic Chef Academy community, please add your email address for more healthy seasonal recipes delivered to your inbox.
Happy Cooking 🙂